Have you ever raised a question like ‘is it too regular to wash my dog once a week?’ or so? You definitely have if you take enough care of your lovely puppy. The most common advice you see on the Internet tells you that your dog should be bathed just several times per year! This is a quite a big surprise. Today, we are going to help you answer the question: How often should you wash your dog?
How often to Wash Your Dog is Up to You
Nowadays, many people find it important and even enjoyable to bathe their pets regularly, including dogs. Of course, dogs enjoy shampoos and conditioners that are similar to the best human shampoos. These lotions should have no or very little chemicals so that they will not harm the dogs. Others might argue that washing dogs too often can strip the coat of natural oils. The more regularly you wash something, the more often the sebum (oil) is going to be removed.
This is true for your hair when you never wash your hair with shampoo every day. Your dog needs those natural oils to stay soft and silky, and especially to avoid getting brittle and damaged.
The answer for how often a dog should be bathed is that it depends. Consider following questions then find out your own answer.
1. Does Your Dog Live Indoors or Outdoors? Does Your Dog Sleep with You in Your Bed?
It is definitely important that your dog be washed often if he lives in your house, especially he sleeps on your bed. The fluency ranges from once a week to once a month, depending which breed your dog is.
This is just because your house will become cleaner and disease-free with no dirt, flea, poop or insects on your sofa, your bed or your reading room.
2. What Breed Is Your Dog?
It depends on the breed of your dog and its coat in order to wash every month or week. Followings are some common breeds:
- Dogs with harsh-textured coats, like Shelties and Collies, can be washed every month or less frequently. This is because their fur repels dirt quite easily, not like other soft coat breeds.
- Dogs without undercoats or dogs that don't shed (Maltese, Yorkies, Afghans, and Shitzus) can be bathed every week.
- Dogs with an oily coat, for example Basset Hounds, should need bathing as frequently as once a week.
- The short-haired and smooth coat breeds, like Beagles and Weimaraners, should not be bathed too frequently, even as less as possible.
- Dogs with water-repellent coats, like Golden Retrievers and Great Pyrenees should be washed sometimes in order to protect their natural oils.
- Dogs with thick and double coats, like Samoyed, Malamutes, and any other Northern breeds, should be brushed more than bathed. This helps dispose loose and dead hair, and producing natural oils.
How Often to Wash Your Dog Also Depends on Which Breed It Is. Yorkies Puppies Can Be Washed Once a Week.
3. Is There Anyone Allergic to Dogs in Your House?
If there is any member of your family having allergies to dogs, your dogs should absolutely be groomed and bathed as regularly as you can. By doing that, you can remove the dander that accumulates on your dog’s fur.
4. What Does Your Dog Do Every Day?
For some dogs, they just want to go around your house and do nothing. Others are more active with ‘dirtier’ activities like digging holes, playing in the sand and dirt areas, or simply fighting and kidding with their fellows. Some even sniffing butts, eating poop or drooling.
With those active dogs, sweat is always on their bodies. Moreover, dirty solid, sand and trash are along with them. Now, you have to think about the trade off between cleaning your dogs or letting them as dirty as they can be.
5. Does Your Dog Suffer from Itching?
It is good to know that unlike humans, dogs absorb all the allergens through their skin instead of noses, and mouths. These allergens, if not cleaned and removed properly, can cause itching, redness, and even skin diseases. Another cause can be the fleas which cannot stand being flooded.
Weekly bathing for these dogs can prevent itchiness and any potential diseases.
To conclude, it is recommended that you bathe your dog with normal skin every month with dog shampoo. If you want to bathe him more frequently, for example twice a month , you can use a soap-free or moisturizing shampoo to make sure your dog’s kin does not get dry. Unless there is a diagnosis from your vet, never wash your dog more than once a week.
It is good and necessary that your dog needs to be clean and free of disease. However, it depends on a lot of factors that you can decide how much often you should wash your dog.